Welcome to my resource page for my lecture – “More Useful Tools Helping Me Break Down My Brick Walls”
My Heritage DNA
The charts are very helpful in determining the possible relationship with a DNA match.
The DNA Painter’s Shared cM Project page offers a visualization tool. Enter the length of a match – and it will display a range of possible relationships with probabilities associated with each.
International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG):
Cousin Statistics – charts showing how likely a given level of relationship will have a match. For example 3rd cousins at AncestryDNA will match 98% of the time.
The DNA Geek
Her 6 part blog post titled:”Science the Heck Out of Your DNA” offers cutting edge ways to help analyze matches and evaluate possible relationships. You can read the first post in this series here: http://thednageek.com/science-the-heck-out-of-your-dna-part-1/.
In the 5th post in this series, Leah refers to a Probability Calculator on the DNA Painter website and offers an example of how to evaluate and rank multiple hypothetical relationships. Link to the Probability Calculator: https://dnapainter.com/tools/prob2?m=
Continued Learning through Webinars
- Several genealogical societies, including the Florida State Genealogical Society (flsgs.org) when they are presented live. Archived webinars are available only to members.
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars One of the best, most comprehensive, collection of webinars presented by many of the nation’s leading genealogists. Live webinars are free and are available to view for the following seven days.
- Ancestry Academy – some webinars are free
- com on YouTube – such as Ancestry Desktop Education Series
- BYU Family History Library also YouTube channel
- And many more . . .
- You can find a calendar of many upcoming webinars at http://blog.geneawebinars.com/
$ = subscription site
|Planning and Organizing
|Family Tree Webinars – Thomas MacEntee “Mind Mapping Your Research Plans and Results” $
|Cluster Genealogy and Fan Clubs
|Family Tree Webinars has several – search for “FAN”
Elizabeth Shown Mills offers an excellent case study in “FAN + GPS + DNA: The Problem-Solver’s Great Trifecta” – $
|Family Tree Webinars – Beth Foulk “Solving Genealogy Problems with Timelines” $
– Jill Morelli “Using Timelines for Correlation and Analysis” $
|Microsoft’s OneNote Video Training and Microsoft’s OneNote: Basics and Beyond
Several YouTube videos including: Microsoft OneNote – 2018 Detailed Tutorial
and many more . . .
|Bureau of Land Management Records
|Homesteads: An American Treasure, Rick Sayre on Ancestry Academy
|Find Your Ancestors Land Records Using Google Earth – Kimberly Selma. Short example of how to take BLMGLO record location and locate in Google Earth. The process works a little bit differently today. More information in my online links (see below)
|MyHeritage.com offers several free webinars at FamilyTreeWebinars. Check out their webinars here.
Expand and Support Your Genealogy Research with DNA Circles with Ross Curtis on Ancestry Academy.